Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week 50 Cidade Verde Brazil

For those of you who have heard of Carnaval, the Brazilian holiday, know that it is pretty inconvenient for us missionaries. Starting on Saturday, our area was pretty much dead since everyone went out of town to celebrate Carnaval. And it won´t be over until Wednesday. But we had a good week, regardless. It started off on Monday night with an awesome family home evening at Paraguassu and Yusha´s house. We took Ítalla and Hugo, and Painho (Paraguassu) gave a message about John Tanner, one of the early church members who sacrificed everything he had and donated everything to the church. It was an amazing message, and I think it really helped Ítalla and Hugo, who are also making sacrifices (giving up smoking, etc) to become members of the church. I was also very grateful that the ward members are helping integrate Ítalla and Hugo. Plus, I love Paraguassu and Yusha´s family. They are all so loving and they remind me a lot of my wonderful family :)

We also managed to find a wedding dress for Ítalla! Isabel, one of our good friends in the ward, who actually hasn´t been super active since she usually goes to her mom´s ward and not to hers, talked to her sister, who´s going to lend us her beautiful wedding dress! She´s going to bring the dress from Recife this week, so hopefully it fits Ítalla. Plus Isabel went to our ward this week for the first time since I´ve been here! We love her!

The sad news from this week is that Renata, who got baptized a few weeks ago, still hasn´t been confirmed. We haven´t been able to find her at home, and it seems like she´s avoiding us :( I´m really sad about it and want to know what´s going on. I´m pretty sure a friend of hers spoke bad about the church. 

There´s a new American sister in our district named Sister Sutton, and I got to talk with her several times this week. We spoke quite a bit of English, since she´s in that phase where it´s hard to understand and everything is overwhelming. I remember how hard it was for me when I got here, so I want to help her as much as possible. 

A funny story from this week: we´ve started doing our daily exercises at a little free outdoor gym that´s really close to our apartment. And I´m pretty sure we´re the only people who go there who are less than 60 years old. Sister Gusmão struck up a conversation with a few of the old ladies there one morning and ended up teaching them the Law of Chastity, which I thought was hilarious. We´re going to make friends with all of the old ladies :)

Anyway, that was our week. It was a little bit hard, since we´ve had to drop several investigators (Francisco, unfortunately, is not progressing, and neither is Brena, who we were teaching) and we had a hard time finding new ones because of Carnaval, but this week will be better! Sorry for this super random, cluttered email :)

All my love,
Sister Amy Weatherford

Pictures: our family home evening; me, Sister Gusmão, and Sister Castilho; our zone




Me doing exercises with the old ladies

Me and my companion, Sister Gusmão




So, donuts don´t exist in Brazil, but I found something similar today and I got happy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment