Thursday, October 22, 2015

Week 34 Santarém Natal, Brazil

Sister Nunes and I had a cool experience this week. We were walking along when Sister Nunes told me that she felt like we needed to go back and knock (clap our hands, really -- all of the houses here have gates) on one of the houses we had just passed. A 22-year-old woman answered the door and was super receptive. She asked us tons of questions about the church, said she would go with us on Sunday, and invited us to come back another day. Her name is Daliane. Unfortunately, she wasn´t able to go with us on Sunday, but we´re going to keep working with her. 

There´s a 17-year-old young woman in our ward named Lauanda who got baptized about 2 months ago. She is absolutely incredible and is one of our best friends here. She has a super cute little sister who is fascinated by me. She always asks me to speak English for her and calls me Barbie. She even asked me for my autograph :) Kelisson, a young man we´re working with, is progressing really well. He has a friend who´s a member and goes to church with him every week, and we´re hoping that everything works out for him to get baptized this Saturday. We still have to convince his family, who´s not completely sure if he´s ready to get baptized, but he´s excited. One of our biggest problems here is that of family members not wanting people to get baptized. There are several youth here in our area that love the church and want to get baptized, but whose parents don´t approve. 

This week, we invited a man on the street to visit the church, and he said that before he visits our church we have to visit his (he´s Catholic). When we asked him the schedule in his church, he said "I don´t know. I´m not praticante (what is that word in English??)" Pretty ridiculous, huh? We also met another man who told us he doesn´t have time to go to church, which was ridiculous because he was sitting outside of his house doing literally nothing when we invited himHe must think we´re blind or something. :)

It wasn´t an easy week. We´re facing some difficult things here in this area, but we´re learning a lot of patience. President Uchtdorf taught that "Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most." I´m seeing how true that is. If everything here was perfect and all of our investigators progressed perfectly, I´m pretty sure I would not learn anything. So even when it´s hard, I try to remind myself that Heavenly Father is giving me opportunities to grow. 

Love,
Sister Amy Weatherford


No comments:

Post a Comment