Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Week 5 Provo MTC


A week from today, I will be in BRAZIL! It is so crazy and I still can't believe my MTC time is already over. I received my flight plans on Friday, so I leave for Brazil on Monday and will get there on Tuesday after a through-the-night flight. I am super excited, and a little nervous!

Highlights of this week:

On Wednesday, our district got to help host the new incoming missionaries and it was so fun! It was fun remembering when that was me on my first day. 

One of our teachers was telling us how the names of people in the Bible and Book of Mormon are pronounced differently in Portuguese, and he said that Ruth is pronounced as "hoochie." One of the elders said "Good thing there's not a book of Ruth!" and we all said "There IS a book of Ruth!" I don't know why it was so funny at the time, because now it really doesn't seem funny. :)

We also got to do our TRC appointments via Skype with Brazilians this week! We talked to a really nice woman named Claudia who would say "muito bom" (very good) after everything we said, even if we had just born our testimony or said a prayer. She was very encouraging of our rather unimpressive Portuguese :)

On Sunday night, instead of having a normal devotional, Vocal Point (BYU's acapella group) came and performed for us and it was so fun. It reminded me of how much I miss BYU. 

As a district, we decided that the punishment for being late is that you have to do a door approach, or in other words, pretend that you're tracting in the mission field. The elders were late, so our teacher opened the door and pretended to be an investigator. When they asked if they could come in, he said no and then said "Tenho visitantes. Muitas mulheres," which means "I have visitors. Lots of women." It was only the sisters in our district who were in the room at the time, which is why he said that, and it was so funny. The teachers here at the MTC are super funny and smart and spiritual and I love having class with them. 

And the biggest highlight was General Conference, which was absolutely incredible! One of my favorite thoughts was from Elder Bednar, who said that Jesus Christ is the only source of enduring peace and that one of the greatest blessings of being His disciple is "the peace of God that passeth all understanding." It was wonderful to hear such powerful testimonies and inspired words and to receive personal revelation during Easter weekend. President Uchtdorf said that we must never lose our sense of awe for the eternal sacrifice of the Son of God, and I hope I never do. I am so grateful for my Savior, and for our living prophet and apostles who testify of Him.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Love,
Sister Amy Weatherford

Here are the flight plans --
Depart from Salt Lake on Apr 13 at 11:19 am and arrive in Atlanta, Georgia on Apr 13 at 4:58 pm on flight DL 105 (on Delta airlines)
Depart from Atlanta on Apr 13 at 8:15 pm and arrive in Sao Paulo on Apr 14 at 6:50 am on flight G3 1240 VRG Linhas Aereas S A
Depart from Sao Paulo on Apr 14 at 10:15 am and arrive in Natal on Apr 14 at 1:58 pm on flight...I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment