Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week 1 Provo MTC


Here's Amy's first email home --

Wow! It's been a great and crazy week. The first day took a little bit of adjustment and was kind of overwhelming, but I love it here at the MTC. The first day we got here, we got into the classroom right away and our teacher spoke only Portuguese to us. Luckily, I could understand him because I've studied so much Spanish. My companion is Sister Thomson from Washington state and I like her a lot. She's also going to Brazil Natal! When they put on my nametag and told me that I'll be wearing the name of my Savior over my heart for 18 months, I almost got choked up. I love my nametag and think it's so cool that I get to wear it for 18 months :)

We taught our first "investigator" in Portuguese on Friday. Scary, huh? Luckily, she's not a real investigator. She's actually an RM and is going to be our teacher next week :) We've taught her three times now and will teach her twice more this week. She speaks Portuguese beautifully and it inspires me and makes me hope that I'll be that good when I get back. The language is coming along well, but it's frustrating to be limited in what I can express. It keeps getting easier every day though. My district is getting along well. There are 7 sisters and 3 elders. Our teacher is a BYU student who served in Sao Paulo. 


I'm almost out of time, so I'll just sum up some highlights of the week. The food is really good, our branch presidency is awesome, I've run into quite a few people I knew from BYU, and I'm learning so much. We watched an amazing talk by Elder Bednar called the "Character of Christ" that was literally life-changing to me. If you can find access to it (it's an MTC talk, so I'm not sure if it's available), I would highly recommend it. I wish I could say so much more, but we only get an hour! Just know that I am so grateful to be here and I'm learning and growing so much. I love you all and am grateful for your support!


3 comments:

  1. I was excited to run across this blog. Amy and I have had some contact as my daughter is serving in the Natal mission and Amy had some questions that hopefully I was able to help answer. I'm excited to see that she is now on her mission and enjoying the MTC. I know she was anxious for her visa. Any news on where it is in the process? I'm part of a facebook group of mom of missionaries in Brazil and there has been lots of discussion the last day or so regarding visas. Seems that there are a few missionaries that are starting to get theirs. If you (mom) have interest in joining that group let me know. People are kind and helpful but the big plus of the group is that moms post pictures and if your'e lucky you'll get some pictures of your daughter that you might not have seen otherwise. Oh how we missionary moms love pictures haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Denise, thank you! I would love to join the group. I am on Facebook. Thanks. :)

      Delete
    2. search for the page LDS Moms of Missionaries in Brazil on facebook. If you can't find it let me know. So excited Amy's visa went through.

      Delete